Friday, January 29, 2010

Artist Date II - Annie



What the heck is that?

My first thought, as I drove up the ramp toward it, was that there was Arabic lettering on the Jo-Ann Fabrics ETC storefront. And although that certainly would have been creative, it didn't seem too likely. I looked closer. Pigeons! How fun is that??? I took their picture and rejoiced to be out in the world seeing strange and wonderful things.

My Artist Date for Week II is in two parts.

Part The First: Shopping at Target & Jo-Ann.

Part The Second: Making myself a Ribbon Memo Board.

Julia wants us to put up messages to ourselves. Like, "Stop playing 'Zuma and write something, you slacker!" Just kidding. Julia wouldn't want us to call ourselves slackers. That's not her Way. These would be inspirational messages. "Such as, 'I'll provide the quantity and let Holy Tree provide the quality."

Plus, I have photos and little mementos I don't want to poke holes in with pushpins. Thus, my desire for a padded memo board with crisscrossed ribbons you can just tuck things into. I am so all about this project.

I'm planning to do it tomorrow and post a photo of it in all of what will certainly be its glory. But first I have to find my stapler.

What I'd like to point out here is this: Jo-Ann Fabrics ETC. at University Square is a gigantic space. Just massive. And as far as I can tell, with the exception of a handful of mundane objects like straight pins, it is fully, irrevocably, profligately devoted to the pursuit of creativity. Wow. Ribbons, buttons, notebooks, scrapbooks, yarn and knitty items, macrame, decoupage. Lord Almighty! Even some of the straight pins are fancy. Actually, there are pins in every possible color. Racks of them. Pins! I LOVE this. The sheer, over-the-top exuberance of it all. It speaks Creativity to everyone who walks in the door. I was gaa-gaa over stuff I didn't even know what it WAS.

That's it for now.

In closing: A good time was had by me.

No comments:

Post a Comment